400g Fresh Spaghetti
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
120g Guanciale diced (small)
3 Tablespoons salt
100g freshly grated Pecorino or 50/50 of Pecorino and Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the Guanciale. Saute over a medium heat until the edges of the Guanciale pieces are getting brown , about 2 minutes. Set the pan aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and when boiling add the salt then the pasta and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, break the eggs into a small bowl and add all the cheese and a generous grinding of pepper. Whisk gently until smooth.
- Drain the pasta (keep 1 cup warm aside) and add the pasta to the pan containing the Guanciale over a low heat. Toss quickly to mix well.
- Move the pan off the direct heat and pour the egg and cheese mixture into the pan. Mix it with 2 wooden spoons.
- Make sure that the pasta does not get cold and also make sure that the egg mixture is cooked (you may have to move the pan back over the low heat). Ideally the pasta will cook the egg just enough. If you need it you can add a little of the pasta water to loosen it up.